1.7.06

Thumper’s mama would be pissed at me.

She always said, “If you cain’t say sumthin’ nice, don’t say nuthin’ at all.”

Since posting my gripe list about Superman Returns I see that I’m not the only one who was severely troubled by the movie; severely enough to post their dismay and heap on the nitpicking.

There were a lot of things I liked about Superman Returns.

--I liked Superman’s boots. I liked them a lot. They look like Frank Miller designed them.

--I was transfixed on Supe’s cape—his whole costume in fact. It was dark and looked like it was made from a material not found on this planet.

--I liked that Superman’s power level fluctuated with the amount of solar radiation he had stored up. One minute he’s having trouble stopping a commercial airliner from crashing, and the next he’s lifting an entire continent and chucking it into space.

--The design of the movie was pretty much gorgeous from start to go. The Daily Planet was an art deco orgasm, and Luthor’s yacht is to die for.

--I like that Perry White’s nephew is wealthy enough to live on the seashore and have an airplane in his backyard.

--I like that Lois smokes Brand M cigarettes.

--And I like that it’s a dog eat dog world even in Metropolis.

No comments: